Walnut macaroons are the Greek style macaroons! Fluffy, airy, unique, tasteful walnut macaroons with chocolate flavour. A constant value!
The macaroons made of the most beneficial nuts. Walnuts contain twice the amount of antioxidants than other nuts Moreover, these nuts are also high in fiber, vitamin B, melatonin, manganese, zinc, iron, etc. and are delicious!!!
If you have a party, a festive meal, a celebration or just want to accompany your afternoon coffee, then this recipe is an ideal for you.
The only thing that will disappoint you a little, is how fast these walnut chocolate chip macaroons disappear!
For the dough:
- 250 g walnuts (9 oz.)
- 1 1/2 tsp. gluten free flour
- cinnamon powder
- 1-2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 large egg whites only
- 1 cup sugar
For the cream filling:
- 300g gluten free homemade hazelnut praline spread or you can buy a chocolate spread (11 oz.)
- Preheat the oven at 180oC / 350oF (fan).
- Grind the walnuts and leave them aside
- Whisk the egg whites with the mixer into a tight meringue.
- Add the sugar to the meringue slowly and continue beating it until the sugar dissolves.
- In another bowl, mix the grounded walnuts with flour, cocoa, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the above mixture of solid ingredients to the meringue and mix lightly with a spatula until everything is fully incorporated. It needs a little attention in the mixing, and our movements should be gentle and slow so that the air stays in our meringue to keep it fluffy.
- Lay non-stick paper on a large baking tray.
- Put the mixture in a bowl and spread small quantities about the size of a walnut, not too close to each other because they swell. We can of course use a spoon, but with the piping bag they will become more even.
- Bake the first pan in the preheated oven at 180oC / 350oF (fan) for 10 min.
- While it’s baking, prepare the second pan repeating the above steps.
- We take the walnut macaroons out of the oven and let them cool down.
- Put the gluten free hazelnut praline in a piping bag. (Alternatively, we can use 2 spoons to put a little praline on the macaroons).
- We take a macaroon, put a little portion of homemade hazelnut praline spread on the bottom and stick a second one on top very gently.
- We continue in the same way to fill them all.
- You will have around 25-30 stuffed macaroons.
- If you do not have a piping bag, you can use a food bag and cut one lower corner.
- Do not omit the salt in the recipe. Generally, add a little salt to any chocolate recipe because it enhances the taste of chocolate. I learned this tip from Jamie Oliver at some point and I found that he was absolutely right.
- Instead of praline, you can fill them with orange marmalade or whipped cream.
- You do not need to fill them all. They are very easy to eat like cookies with your coffee, tea or milk.
Good Luck & Bon Appétit!!!