When making spoon sweets or jams, if we want them to be preserved for a long time without getting moldy, it is very important to sterilize the jars well.
We always use glass jars and make sure that the lid closes tightly.
Before sterilizing them, it is essential to wash very well and thoroughly both the jars and the lids.
It is also essential that our sterilized jars are completely dry before we put our spoon sweets or jams.
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/230°F.
- Placed all jars and their lids on a tray/pan, after we have first washed and wiped them very well.
- Put them in the oven for 15-30 minutes (depending on their size)
- When they are ready, we remove them from the oven and directly, as they are hot, we fill them with the jam or the dessert, which must also be hot.
- Close tightly with the lid and place the jar upside down until the contents cool down. In this way, we create an air gap and prevent decomposition.
- This is how canning is done and we can keep the jar in our cupboard (shaded place) for many months. After opening, keep it in the fridge.
- Use ONLY glass jars
- Our sterile jars must always be completely dry before we fill them.